|Title:||Senior Director, Energy Projects|
|Subsidiary:||Liberty Power (formerly Algonquin Power)|
|Department:||Project Development & Construction|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: Provide leadership to project development staff on non-financial aspects of power generation project development during *Project Stage Gate 2 and *Project Stage Gate 3. Provide due diligence expertise to assist Origination and Acquisition initiatives pursued by the business development team.
Responsible through direct reports for managing non-financial project development staff, including, but not limited to:
• Hiring and terminating,
• Professional and technical training,
• Annual objectives and performance reviews, and
• coaching and mentoring of team staff.
Implementing and managing project management tools including:
• Risk Registry
• Stakeholder Registry
• Capital Budgets
• Project Schedules
Managing project specific development budgets for projects in Project Stage Gate 3:
• Overseeing Project Stage Gate budget requests;
• Jointly presenting major projects for BOD approval with the VP Energy Projects;
• Negotiation of key contracts including EPC, Utility Interface and major equipment supply;
• Establish project priorities.
Assessment technical aspects of Origination and Acquisition initiatives including:
• Procurement of 3rd party services;
• Estimating capital costs;
Assist with the preparation of annual budget for the Development Group; (labour, salaries, benefits, training, travel, bonuses, and all 3rd party expenses, etc.)
*Project Stage Gate 2: Feasibility & Studies and Project Stage Gate 3: Project Definition & Planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of power generation technology – all types. (wind, solar, hydro-electric and other renewables)
- Comprehensive knowledge of project development cycle (permitting, initial and detailed engineering, construction, pro-forma financial modeling, financing, operation)
- Complete functionality with modern software platforms (data-bases, Office, CAD, engineering forecasting tools, time management – Outlook, web management & research, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills required (written, oral, report-writing, presentation creation and execution, etc.)
- Documentation Management – meticulous documentation management skills and passion and attention to detail required
- Engineering degree or other relevant post-secondary education
- 10 years working experience in the power generation industry
- 5+ years of people leadership experience
- Previous experience with large scale renewable energy projects
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer