|Subsidiary:||Empire District (A Liberty Utilities Company)|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
Thank you for your interest in The Empire District Electric Company (A Liberty Utilities Company). For over 100 years, our workforce has been serving our customers with pride. As we face the challenges of the future, we will continue to build on our reputation of providing excellent customer service through a skilled, highly motivated workforce. We provide our employees with a challenging work environment, while maintaining a company culture of high ethical standards. Five core competencies are valued in all employees – Customer Focus, Teamwork, Effective Communication, Personal Accountability/Initiative and Flexibility/Adaptability. We believe these competencies are keys to success at Empire District, and it is our mission to recruit, hire, train, and retain such individuals.
Perform accounting and analytic functions to ensure income, sales, property, and other taxes are presented and prepared accurately. Specific duties include: Prepare sales and use tax returns accurately and timely. Ensure recording of tax transactions is in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and tax laws and regulations. Reconcile tax accounts as assigned. Manage tasks to meet critical tax filing deadlines while working with Company personnel to evaluate tax information for proper treatment. Research tax issues as required.
- Prepare and analyze queries and system reports as supporting documentation for the preparation of income, sales, property, and other tax returns while seeking to continuously improve processes.
- Assure the accuracy and timeliness of tax return preparation, payment of taxes and the maintenance of appropriate records and tax accounts.
- Participate as a member of the tax team to assure the tax impact of transactions are properly reflected in the accounting records of the Company in accordance with GAAP and applicable tax laws and regulations while complying with Company policy and documented SOX controls.
- Provide accurate and timely information to other departments concerning tax laws to facilitate budgeting, planning, reporting and ratemaking activities.
- Maintain good rapport with outside taxing authorities while representing the Company’s tax needs and issues. Assist the Manager of Tax Compliance with completion of various tasks.
- Conduct research related to tax laws and regulations to minimize tax liabilities while complying with those laws and regulations. Accurately communicate the results of research and conclusions, and the implementation strategy.
- Perform other special projects as needed, including performing the tasks of the Manager of Tax Compliance in their absence.
- BS Degree in Accounting or equivalent with significant tax accounting course completion. 1+ year of experience in corporate tax accounting or CPA preferred. Advanced computer skills, including use of Excel. Ability to communicate well with others.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to building a diverse workforce as it values the knowledge, diversity and performance of our employees to make us a great company. Our Company strives to provide equal opportunity to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the HR Representative