|Title:||Project Origination Specialist- 6 Month Contract|
|Subsidiary:||Liberty Power (formerly Algonquin Power)|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: Resource to support the development of QF solar strategy and develop project funnel. Duties will include prospecting, data analysis, synthesis of screening strategy.
- Build pipeline of potential off-take candidates from amongst US utilities (particularly co-ops)
- Work with team to develop and manage database of potential PPA targets within Salesforce. Conduct review of, and update, database on weekly basis.
- Market Knowledge – bring/develop a considerable level of market knowledge to assist with strategy development, including utility IRPs, regional RPS standards, general permitting and regulatory processes, interconnection and transmission, development risk.
- Support client acquisition and negotiations. Integrate transactions post-closing by liaising with internal development, asset management, accounting and legal departments as necessary.
- Subject Matter Knowledge – possess and/or develop subject matter knowledge of the target sector – including regulatory, technology and business issues.
- Lead the development of opportunity screening criteria and the application thereof
- Financial Literacy – possess a working knowledge of financial analysis tools: investment return expectations and analysis metrics, currency exchange, taxation rates, and depreciation.
- Resource Management - Manage deliverables from internal resources (engineering, technical and regulatory) and 3rd party service providers, budget and schedule compliance.
- Mentor a junior analyst supporting the project team.
- Data Quality - Assess the adequacy and quality of the data being used in the project development cycle for the purpose of risk identification and analysis as well as recommending additional resources to address deficiencies.
- Contact Development – abilitydevelop working relationships with regional subject-matter contacts in the US to assist with strategy development and project execution. These subject-matter experts may be consultants, accountants, engineers or lawyers.
- Develop new and maintain existing relationships with public and private partners relevant to development and acquisition of utility scale projects in the US.
- Provide strategic recommendations re: channel development and potential partnerships
- Lead the initial market screen exercise and prepare and defend a summary of recommendations
- Prepare process maps of proposed project funnel development tactics
- 3 - 7 years of direct experience in the renewable power sector, ideally with 2 - 3 years of direct experience in the solar and/or wind sector
- Undergraduate and graduate degree / post-secondary education designation (B.Sc., P. Eng., MBA)
- Facility with project development and due diligence
- Specific electricity market knowledge in various jurisdictions within North America
- Working knowledge of the impact of various tax structures within the US
- Must possess strong written and oral presentation skills
- Must understand the needs of the business development team and contribute to a team environment.
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.