|Title:||Manager, External Reporting|
|Subsidiary:||Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: The External Reporting Manager will be responsible for external financial reporting for APUC. Primary objectives of the manager are to consolidate the financial information, to use oversight to ensure financial reporting accuracy and compliance, to proactively improve reporting by introducing enhancements or new reports to increase usefulness while reducing preparation time, and to review the accounting for complex transactions (e.g. stock compensation).
External financial reporting
- Prepare external reporting to the public, financial institutions and other stakeholders, including review of financials and notes to the financial statements, MD&A and updating Workiva.
- Preparation of the Quarterly and annual APUC financial statements and notes to the financials
- Review and consolidate the cash flow statements prepared by divisional teams for quarterly statements
- Quarterly and annual standalone legal entities financial statements for financial institutions and regulators
- Coordinating with the Treasury team on reviewing and updating financial metrics and capex disclosures for the MD&A.
- Prepare monthly consolidated statements and analysis for internal stakeholders
- Manage the external audit process by liaising with auditors, as required, throughout the year to ensure timely completion of the financial and SOX audit.
- Responsible for maintaining strong internal controls and ensuring SOX compliance:
- Performing quarterly user access, segregation of duties, and no-harm analysis review for in-scope financial systems
- Maintaining SOX documentation over corporate financial reporting controls, including but not limited to, the financial close process, consolidation and financial reporting.
- Support the One Finance vision by building relationships with the divisional and cross-functional finance teams.
- Manage chart of account mapping for new acquisitions and provide financial reporting guidance and training on relevant systems and processes.
- Assist Director of Consolidation with ad hoc reporting requests
Accounting & Consolidation
- Working with the Corporate Accounting team, ensure that APUC, Davis Road and LU Finance transactions are recorded and reported in a timely and error-free manner.
- Responsible for timely and accurate data in HFM, including ICP mapping, overrides, equity roll, metadata and mapping changes
- Working with divisional teams, ensure that source systems to HFM account mapping is accurate and timely
- Ensure intercompany variances are resolved to acceptable thresholds
- Assist the Accounting team with continuous improvement efforts
- Review of regulatory reporting for APUC and liaising with the regulatory team to address data requests.
- CPA,CA designation or equivalence
- Minimum 5 years’ experience combined experience in financial reporting and auditing
- University degree, preferably in business or commerce
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel and Other MS Office applications
- Experience with HFM, GP and SAP
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- A proactive and independent individual
- Excellent technical accounting skills and knowledge of GAAP (US GAAP preferable)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer