Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: This is an 15-18 month contract
With direction from the Director of Learning & Development, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for implementation and coordination of comprehensive internal and external communication initiatives for Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. (APUC) and its two subsidiaries: Liberty Utilities and Algonquin Power Co. (APCo). The primary focus will be on internal communication using a variety of tools such as company-wide information televisions, a SharePoint intranet portal, company newsletters, town hall meetings, emails, and other media as required. The Communications Specialist will also be responsible for supporting the organization's external communications needs through management of the external websites and social media, development of public-facing documents, planning company events, maintaining the brand identity, and managing community relations activities. The successful candidate will be an effective, self-governed, and experienced communications generalist with a strong strategic vision. The successful candidate should have: experience developing communications plans for both internal and external audiences, solid writing and editing skills, and keen technological proficiency in working with websites, social media, video and graphic design tools and applications.
- Responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communications strategies. Support communications needs of various business units by providing strategic direction, developing communications plans and tools within a complex organization with a variety of unique audiences.
- Assist in developing overall communications strategy and brand identity at the corporate level.
- Provide communications-related coaching, guidance, and advice for staff members as called upon.
- Providing media and community relations expertise. This may include developing and issuing press releases, answering calls from the media, coordinating community events and developing media or community-focused documents such as press releases, fact sheets, brochures, Q&As, websites, or advertorials.
- Provide photography, videography, web design and graphic designed to aid in the creation of visual communications such as slide presentations, company videos, promotional materials and other items as deemed necessary.
- Sourcing and liaising with vendors to suit a variety of business needs including print, website creation, video production, event planning, catering, production of promotional items, etc.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining corporate communications content within the SharePoint intranet site and public-facing websites. This includes supporting and liaising directly with business units in the pursuit of editorial content, preparing articles and working to ensure that content on the websites is up-to-date and accurate.
- Implement social media strategies through the management of corporate accounts, including content creation, and engaging with the online community when needed.
- Additional responsibilities as determined by project requirements.
- A Bachelor's degree or a diploma from an accredited college or university with a focus on communications, journalism, English, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of consecutive and increasingly responsible experience in communications, with a proven ability to understand communication principles and practices, including experience in web-based communications.
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft SharePoint software or other similar Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Knowledge of Adobe Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere an asset.
- Strong technical background with advanced computer skills and experience with all Microsoft Office tools including PowerPoint, Publisher, Word, and Excel.
- Detail oriented and organized, with exceptional prioritization skills to help balance conflicting priorities and tight deadlines. Candidate must be able to self-govern.
- High comfort working in teams and with all levels of management in a collaborative manner.
- Bilingual French preferred.
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person's unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.