|Title:||Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,800 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: The Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis will be responsible for leading a team of three overseeing LPCo's management and external financial reporting, financial system management, and overseeing the planning and forecasting processes. Primary objectives of the manager are to use oversight to ensure financial reporting accuracy and compliance, proactively improve reporting by introducing enhancements or new reports to increase usefulness while reducing preparation, improve performance and usage of the reporting and planning tool, and continually evolve the financial planning and forecasting processes looking for and implementing industry best practices.
- Manage quarterly forecast/re-forecast and annual budget cycle for the company's business units
- Constructively challenge key budget and forecast assumptions to ensure that budgets and forecasts are unpinned by reliable assumptions
- Reviews data and forecasting assumptions made by business units, validating corporate trends, changes in operating conditions and actual results into financial plans
- Monthly review of the variance analyses to identify weakness, inconsistencies or incomplete analyses of the business units
- Responsible for the continued development, improvements and maintenance to the Company's organization wide Clarity based long term forecasting and budgeting application
- Lead preparation of annual budgets and periodic forecasts in coordination with operational managers/department directors. Manage the Company's annual budgeting and long term forecasting cycle
- Reviews the overall accuracy and integrity of budget and forecasts for assigned business units
- Manage the activities of Financial Analyst(s) to ensure the timely achievement of department goals, within prescribed policies, procedures and standard business practices
- Recommend budgetary policies and best practices for the business units to
- Other duties as assigned
- Prepare the monthly Balanced Scorecard. Develop new analysis and KPI's to enhance the understanding of company performance yielding new insights.
- Manage the "bridge" between management reporting and external reporting, clearly documenting the reconciliation of the two, ensuring consistency and continually looking for ways to streamline both processes.
- Ensure all financial information is accurate, appropriately disclosed and supports financial statement presentation and disclosure.
- Prepare ad hoc analysis for LPCo's senior management team
- Act as the business owner for financial planning, budgeting and reporting systems, proactively manage the system along with all related processes
- Ensure the integrity of the planning and reporting systems. Drive enhancements based on assessment of business needs and inputs from user community working directly with IT and external consultants
- Ensure all processes are documented and appropriate controls are in place
- Drive automation of manual reporting using various tools and working with IT
- Build a team culture of customer service excellence (for both internal and external customers of Finance)
- Manage 2/3 direct reports including career development, objective setting, reviews & daily guidance.
- Completion of one-off projects of significant importance for the entire FP&A team (reporting to the VP FP&A)
- Expertise - advanced/well-developed skills and knowledge within a specific professional discipline involving the integration of theory and principles with organizational practices and precedents
- Degree in Finance/Accounting
- Minimum 5 years experience in a similar position in an analytical role
- CPA designation or equivalence
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel and Other MS Office applications
- Experience in deploying budgeting / forecasting models with Clarity 7 and HFM is considered an asset
- Experience with Great Plains considered an asset
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely communicate with the Senior Management Team
- A proactive and independent individual
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person's unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.