|Title:||Project Manager - Transmission|
|Subsidiary:||Liberty Power (formerly Algonquin Power)|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities &Empire District) provide rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
Mandate: Responsible for the coordination and management of a variety of power transmission projects and acts as liaison between various reliability coordinators, business functions, consultants, contractors, and sub-contractors in order to expedite the timely planning, design, data collection and completion of transmission projects. This incumbent will coordinate, compose strategy, define resources, quantify risk, and prioritize a power transmission project pipeline and manage the regulatory processes required for power transmission projects within the United States.
- Understand power flow modeling, contingency analysis (steady-state, transient stability, voltage stability, small-signal stability), results management, project review, and compliance reporting to meet business needs.
- Perform reliability assessments using compliant processes of the transmission system; to ensure reliability, adequacy, and security, to ensure that long-term customer transmission needs are being met
- Review the transmission plans of target regions to meet business requirements.
- Present transmission plans to stakeholders in open and transparent stakeholder process.
- Collaborate with management and incorporate developed strategies in developing transmission plan for inclusion in the regional Transmission Expansion Plans (MISO, SPP, CAISO, NEISO).
- Support moving approved projects through regulatory processes.
- Participate in coordinated transmission planning working groups with entities at MISO and SPP for seams issues to meet business needs.
- Perform analysis in support of planning related compliance filings.
- Support and serve on internal and external committees, task forces, and working groups to meet business needs.
- Apply power engineering concepts and theories to evaluate and recommend multiple courses of action to include alternative solutions or processes to optimize generation interconnection or transmission projects.
- A working knowledge of the differing NERC regions is required to fully analyze opportunities.
- Ability to make timely recommendations to effectively solve problems, using independent judgment consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations, and/or law.
- Professionally exercises discretion and independent judgment in day-to-day work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or 5 years of applicable MISO or SPP experience with a related engineering degree, required.
- One year of related power system planning or operations experience, preferred.
- Specific experience with PSS/E power flow and MUST applications, preferred.
- Knowledge of other power system analysis software, study methodologies, and study results analysis required.
- Ability to write plain English strategy documents for presentations to management required.
- Previous energy industry experience required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with consultants, contractors, regulatory agencies.
Like & Follow us @AQN_Careers
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.