|Title:||Asset Management Specialist|
|Subsidiary:||Algonquin Power Co.|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: Acts as or support as the Owner’s representative for assigned Algonquin power Generation facilities. Support the management of the overall profitability and ongoing viability of the operating assets and focus on maximizing profits and ROI.
- As the owner’s representative, contributes to the implementation of programs and strategies impacting a broad section of the APCo business – specifically:
- Ensuring that appropriate safety policies and procedures are in effect and ensure that necessary resources related to worker, public and equipment safety are incorporated in annual and long term planning budgeting
- Monitor and report on the mitigation for all risks to business performance and corporate strategy
- Tracking and obtaining approval for capital expenditures
- Ensure business operates in accordance with all obligation and regulations- specifically related to environmental and regulatory compliance
- Support Manager and Senior Asset Managers with overall business plans for all assets. This includes both P&L and capital budget for the entire APCo portfolio of operating assets.
- Support the Manager/Senior Asset Manager in ensuring that facilities are operated and maintained in a manner that minimizes lifecycle cost and prevents the development of situations that would result in stranded assets:
- Ensuring that each asset has an appropriate business, operations and maintenance plan and budget to operate each facility according to the overall financial expectation of APCo
- Ensuring that there is an appropriate long term capital plan
- Management of development and approval of major capital projects including expansion, repowering of existing facilities – execution of capital projects will be managed by the operations group
- Contribute to/lead:
- Contract/agreement negotiations with various counterparties, including service agreements, energy contracts, equipment supply contracts, government permits and licenses
- Representing APCo’s interests with government agencies, politicians, community groups, industry organizations and the media
- Help triage facility/project specific issues or may involve issues impacting the portfolio.
- As the owner’s representative of the APCo generating portfolio is responsible for forming, leading and managing cross department teams and groups to ensure that the overall financial objectives of APCo are achieved. This will include contributing to the implementation of strategy and policy that will impact all aspects of APCo’s operating business
- Contributes to identification and management of potential threats and opportunities to the APCo business, specifically but not limited to regulatory or market changes
- Contributes to identification of long term regulatory/market changes that may impact the business or provide opportunities
- Responsible for ensuring that strategic, confidential information is appropriately managed, both within APCo and with external stakeholders. Including:
- Development of managerial reporting for use within APCo and with minority ownership interests
- Legal information as it impacts APCo’s assets
- Participate in the transition of new assets acquired or developed by Business Development into the APCo portfolio
- Ensure that APCo projects are properly insured and manage, working with the VP of ERM ensure proper management of any insurance claims
- This function will be responsible for the high level analysis that is not financial in nature.
- Perform financial modeling of existing operations in support of:
- Capital Projects
- Contract negotiations
- Support the development and tracking of key performance indicators for operating projects
- Support contract negotiations
- Act as the department support person for obtaining financial and non-financial information from existing systems
- Support operations staff in developing templates for tracking plant performance
- Support project managers in developing and maintaining project cost and financial performance metrics
- Monitor projects supporting operating facilities
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering (preferred) or equivalent progressive experience
- 2-6 years of related professional experience
- 2+ years managing specific or similar business
- Previous experience within power generation is preferred
- Ability to understand and interpret pro-forma, income statements, cash flow and balance sheets, variances to budget reports
- Strong understanding of P&L’s and Capital budgeting
- Advanced MS Office skills (Excel, Word & PP)
- Familiar with creating business cases and/or reviewing and formulating a recommendation
- Bilingual (French/English) will be considered an asset
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience with negotiations will be considered an asset
- Superior business acumen
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.