|Title:||Director, Government and Public Affairs|
|Department:||Legal & Regulatory Affairs|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
The Director Government and Public Affairs contributes to the development and advancement of governmental policy and strategy for the company. They are responsible for directing State level governmental and public affairs initiatives for their assigned “Region”. The incumbent will foster and sustain relationships with elected officials, associations and business leaders to compliment company objectives. The incumbent will collaborate with Company personnel, lending governmental process knowledge and negotiation skills to facilitate operational success.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of governmental and public affairs strategies in collaboration with other Company personnel.
• Foster and sustain relationships with key elected officials, associations, and other business leaders to compliment and facilitate the short and long-term business strategies of the Company.
• Monitor, research, evaluate and track state legislation, regulatory and policy initiatives.
• Work with corporate functions and business units to contribute to and advocate proactive policy positions and execute corrective legislative and regulatory strategies.
• Establish contacts to build and lead coalitions with NGO’s, businesses and interest groups on issues of common concern.
• Assist with the resolution of technical, organizational and political conflict through effective issues management.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal stakeholders to garner an understanding of their needs, set expectations and ensure outcomes.
• Respond to inquiries from state officials, working with appropriate internal staff to address issues.
• Serve as a spokesperson, ambassador and facilitator for governmental affairs both internally and externally. Act as the regional Company contact for governmental affairs issues.
• Manage contract lobbyists for their assigned region.
• Assist with the regional marketing and funding capability of the Liberty Utilities employee PAC
• Ensure Liberty Utilities and Liberty Power is compliant with State lobbying and campaign finance laws.
• Prepare content for monthly advocacy newsletter and leadership reports.
• Contribute to the development and manage regional budget.
• Bachelor degree in Political Science, Business, Journalism, Communications or equivalent experience
• Ten years of relevant experience
• This role also can be remotely based from either Jefferson City, Kansas City or St. Louis
• Ability to work in a complex global, multi-cultural and matrix organization
• Preferable experience in or exposure to the Power and Utility Sector, or at least within a heavily regulated industry
• Public policy and process expert, whether from a political, governmental and/or civil society perspective
• Exceptionally strong problem solving skills. Most problems will contain greater than normal ambiguity representing essential elements of both the internal customer and external environment.
• Quick strategic thinker, who is able to synthesize and translate complicated material readily for general business consumption; deeply analytical
• Ability to manage competing and conflicting priorities and demands.
• Demonstrated superior interpersonal skills; an adept negotiator and advocate
• Outstanding listening skills and cultural sensitivity
• Excellent presenter and public speaker
• Strong communicator, business proficiency in Spanish/French would be considered an asset
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career Or visit us at www.poweryourcareer.ca
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer