|Title:||Sr. Payroll Specialist|
|Department:||Human Resources & Total Rewards|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: This position is responsible for making necessary adjustments and Processing the full cycle of US Multi-state and Canadian Multi-province, Weekly and Bi-Weekly payrolls for Salary and Hourly employees in both Union and Non-union environments in an accurate and timely manner. Additionally, Sr. Payroll Specialist is responsible for the payroll Accounting functions including reconciliation of Payroll Accounts and preparations of Journal Entries for each payroll processed. This position has a High level of confidentiality, with the ability to process data quickly and accurately. Analyze and responds to complex matters requiring comprehensive payroll knowledge (Union contract agreements, Federal, State and Provincial).
- Responsible for processing all changes received for payroll runs, including retirement/share purchase plan updates. Reconcile payroll results and perform review to validate all changes before presenting to Manager for quality review
- Responsible to prioritize workload to ensure delivery of the work in accordance with the pay schedules. Review work for continuous improvements and bring forward any suggestions to determine if they can incorporated into daily routine.
- Prepare payroll journals for each pay and monthly intercompany entries. Responsible to upload entries in Great Plains system
- Validate and process post-payroll files for retirement plans – Canada and US
- Responsible for the reconciliation process and accompanying monthly intercompany entries to clear the bank
- Responds and resolves all payroll related inquiries promptly
- Maintains up to date knowledge of legislative changes
- Manage regular report preparation, including Union Dues, United Way, and other ad hoc requests
- Worker's Compensation - Monthly, Quarterly, Annually legislative reporting and remittances for Canadian payroll
- Conduct Year End balancing – reconcile and adjust for T4 and W-2 processing
- Monthly Statistics Canada Reporting
- Proficient with Word and Excel
- Comprehensive Canadian Workers Compensation and Year End experience
- College or professional program
- Minimum 5 years of experience
- PCP designation
- Strong analytical skills
- High level of confidentiality
- Understand General Ledger account numbers and basic accounting and math skills
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.