|Title:||Sr. Payroll Specialist|
|Department:||Human Resources & Total Rewards|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: This position is responsible for making necessary adjustments and Processing the full cycle of US Multi-state and Canadian Multi-province, Weekly and Bi-Weekly payrolls for Salary and Hourly employees in both Union and Non-union environments in an accurate and timely manner. Additionally, Sr. Payroll Specialist is responsible for the payroll Accounting functions including reconciliation of Payroll Accounts and preparations of Journal Entries for each payroll processed. This position has a High level of confidentiality, with the ability to process data quickly and accurately. Analyze and responds to complex matters requiring comprehensive payroll knowledge (Union contract agreements, Federal, State and Provincial).
- Responsible for processing all changes received for payroll runs, including VOYA, Desjardins and Solium that are obtained by logging into secure vendor site and printing changes. Run and review Payroll Register to validate all changes before presenting to Manager/Team Lead for the SOX Quality review
- Prepare the payroll checklist, review to ensure all tasks have been completed and signed off for each payroll being processed to ensure that all payroll files are SOX compliant - all team members must following the payroll sign off rules
- Responsible to Validate the payroll audits on the system to ensure all errors are cleared before payroll is submitted for SOX Quality review by Manager/Team Lead
- After the pay - Responsible to Prepare, balance and send the following files: VOYA, SOLIUM & Desjardins
- Responsible to prioritize workload to ensure delivery of the work in accordance with the pay schedules
- Review work for continuous improvements and bring forward any suggestions to the Team Lead to determine if they can be tested and/or incorporated into daily routine.
- Ensure Team lead is informed of all risks associated ith the delivery of the payroll
Speciality- Payroll Finance/Accounting:
- Prepare payroll journals each pay and submit for review and sign off by the Manager/Team Lead
- Prepare the payroll checklist, review and sign off for each payroll is responsible for to ensure that all payroll files are ready for SOX compliance - ensuring all team members are following the sign off rules
- Once review and sign off is complete responsible to Upload Journals onto Great Plains GL system
- Receive the Month End Bank statement and prepare the entry to clear the Department Month end Accrual. Submit them for review and approval and then Upload to Great Plains GL System. Process the Intercompany journal entry to clear APCO bank.
Payroll Service Excellence:
- 1:1 Meetings with Payroll Manager
- Responds and resolves all payroll related inquiries promptly
- Maintains Up to date Knowledge of Legislative changes by Attending Ceridian/CPA year end seminars
Speciality- System Testing and Reporting:
- Participation of Testing activities for all changes to the payroll systems by entering or validating entries during system upgrades and/or for Change Requests submitted by the business lines to Ceridian.
- Report creation - Manage regular report preparation as requested using Newly acquired skills and/or expertise in order to complete this task as it is new to the department
Legislative Reporting and Remittances:
- Worker's Compensation - Monthly, Quarterly, Annually
- T-4, RL1, W2, 1099 T2200 reporting, 940 FUTA and 941 Quarterly reporting to IRS
- CDN -Taxes &EHT - Annually (reviews and reconciles Monthly remittances processed by Service provider)
- Monthly Statistics Canada Reporting
- Union Dues, CSB's, United Way, Colonial Life, Salvation Army
- College or professional program of 3 years or less
- 3-5 years of experiences
- PCP designation
- Strong excel skills with good analytical skills and high level of confidentiality.
- Understand General Ledger account numbers and basic accounting and math skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer