|Title:||EHS Programs Manager|
|Subsidiary:||Algonquin Power Co.|
|Department:||Environmental, Health & Safety|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: This position is responsible for the overall development; implementation and monitoring of Algonquin Power Co.’s (“APCo”) Environment, Health, Safety and Security (“EHS”) programs that comprise the EHS framework and support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequaled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. This role will have 50% travel across North America.
- Take ownership of the APCo Safety manual ensuring that it remains current, that all of Operations are trained in all aspects of the material within, and that changing regulations are captured in a timely manner within the manual.
- Manage the APCo RSC’s ensuring that training is at a consistent level across the company.
- Lead the integration of the EHS framework with existing business processes to facilitate management of risks, business growth and operational efficiency;
- Advise Leadership on changes to regulations as well as emerging EHS trends and how these will affect APCo Operations and Business Development;
- Perform formal and informal EHS inspections/audits and identify corrective actions where needed and facilitate the implementation of corrective actions;
- Lead the APCo EHS team’s efforts with annual and multi-year EHS goals to achieve tangible improvements and to support maturity of the safety culture;
- Assist Project Managers in program, regulatory/compliance and region specific issues;
- Assist Regional Safety Coordinators in region specific issues;
- Participate actively in EHS-related business meetings at all levels within the organization (Monthly, Quarterly and Annual – APCo Management, JHSAC, Regional Safety Meetings, and Town Halls)
- Lead due diligence investigations and transition activities;
- Maintain and monitor compliance records for all APCo regions;
- Monitor APCo EHS performance (leading and lagging indicators) against internal and industry standards;
- Monitor, measure and track all EHS-based statistics and report to APCo Management on a monthly basis;
- Maintain knowledge of applicable federal/provincial/municipal EHS legislation including applicable industry standards relative to power generations and APCo fuel type facilities; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- 8 - 10 years in EHSS related field;
- Bachelor’s degree in EHS or related field;
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (“CRSP”) or similar designation would be an asset;
- Experience in the Power Generation industry would be an asset;
- Self-starter with minimal supervision;
- Working knowledge of power generation-based EHS regulations, ie., OSHA, OHSA and related provincial, state, and federal environmental regulations;
- Ability to read technical information and data, policies, laws, guidelines, and procedures at a college level;
- Competent computer skills, including email, spreadsheets, word processing, PowerPoint presentation and internet experience; and
- Valid Driver’s License, valid passport for travel to US Offices.
- US Visa to allow for the supervision of US Employees.
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.