|Title:||Senior Internal Auditor|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: Provide independent audit services to the Company to assure processes and functions are adequately controlled, operating in an effective and efficient manner and are in alignment with Company goals and policies. Provide management with independent assessments of business risk and develop solutions to keep risks within acceptable levels. Assess internal control design and effectiveness and ensure compliance with standard accounting practices and corporate accounting policies. Plan and perform operational, financial, and compliance audits. Provide direct support to business process owners to assess and analyze internal controls to ensure Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance. Develop and execute testing plans and evaluate and interpret test results for SOX compliance. Ability to maintain confidentiality of Company matters is required.
- Plan and perform audits and projects, which includes: the development of audit programs; documentation of processes; interviews of key personnel; preparation of work papers; selection of testing samples and appropriate tests of control activities; development of audit findings, as well as recommendations, to improve control effectiveness; and communication of results to management.
- Develop and execute management testing plans and evaluate and interpret testing results to determine compliance with SOX requirements. Give direct support to business process owners to assess and analyze the Company’s internal control environment and recommend improvements to ensure SOX compliance. Provide ongoing training to employees regarding their roles in SOX compliance, internal controls, and proper documentation of controls.
- Work closely with other departments to improve the Company’s control systems and operating procedures to maximize overall benefits to the Company, customers, and shareholders.
- Provide counsel on Company process changes to ensure internal controls are designed effectively and efficiently.
- Assist external auditors with work paper preparation and audit testing as required for benefit plans, SOX, and interim/year-end financial audits.
- Assign work and provide guidance to others in the department as required.
- BS Degree in Business/Accounting.
- 3 years auditing or accounting experience.
- Must possess an understanding of the requirements of SOX.
- Have general knowledge of the Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) internal control framework.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer