|Title:||Senior Manager - US Tax|
|Subsidiary:||Liberty Power (formerly Algonquin Power)|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Tax, the Senior Manager, US Tax has primary responsibility for overseeing US income tax reporting, short and long term tax planning and tax modeling, tax compliance, corporate tax accounting, commodity taxes and tax auditing. The Senior Manager, US Tax will actively participate in all tax issues impacting the business, including mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, regulatory matters and all strategic cross border tax planning issues, including hybrid financial instruments, hybrid entities and international tax treaties. Together with Director, Corporate Tax, the Senior Manager, US Tax will also have responsibility for managing external tax relationships including external auditors, advisors and taxation authorities.
- Lead the US tax compliance function. Working with Corporate & Regional Finance and Tax teams and with external service providers, manage the timely preparation of all required US income tax returns.
- Manage all direct and indirect US tax audits. Understand, quantify and actively manage the company's US tax risk.
- Co-ordinate the compilation of US-related information for annual transfer pricing documentation.
- Proactively identify US tax issues and trends that may impact the company's strategy and business activities and proactively work to reduce company risk.
- Provide tax analysis and recommendations as it relates to US tax issues impacting the business.
- Research and develop tax-saving strategies for the US business. Effectively communicate US tax positions and strategies to company leadership. Work with relevant functions, including Corporate Development and Treasury to implement tax-saving strategies and financing.
- Support the Director, Corporate Tax in planning the US aspects of mergers, acquisitions and new business developments. Provide input related to US tax for long term planning and acquisition modeling scenarios
- Prepare quarterly and annual income tax provision for US entities, including research, computations, deferred tax analysis and disclosures to ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP. Reconcile income tax provisions to tax returns filed.
- Working with Liberty Power finance and Liberty Utilities Regional finance, tax and regulatory teams, ensure deferred income taxes are calculated and reported appropriately in forecasts, regulatory filings and local financial reporting.
- Support Regulatory filings possibly including but not limited to providing and reviewing input and draft responses for filings appropriate for government agency requests
- Manage and monitor a strong control environment for tax accounting and reporting, including but not limited to adherence to internal SOX standards, GAAP, and company policies and procedures. Manage remediation of any control deficiencies.
People Leadership/Team Development
- Coach and Develop direct reports with regular performance reviews related to SMART goal setting and achievement
- Develop and maintain high levels of employee engagement and teamwork where employees are disciplined in processes and work collaboratively towards the achievement of personal, departmental and business goals and initiatives.
- Actively participate in the identification and execution of process improvement/best practice initiatives
- 10+ years of experience
- University - Bachelor degree or equivalent
- Professional Accounting designation ( CPA, CGA, CMA)
- Expert knowledge of US income tax
- Utility industry income tax experience an asset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience leading/managing through organizational growth phases
- Prior experience with M&A related tax structuring an asset
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person's unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.