|Title:||Accounting & Finance Manager|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
|Location:||Fall River, MA|
Liberty Utilities, a subsidiary of Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp, is a $10+ billion North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility. The distribution business group provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada. Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Responsible for providing management of the Accounting and Financial functions for Liberty Utilities, Massachusetts. Position oversees the accounting for the gas company, and financial planning and analysis for the East Region (MA, NH and GA). Oversight of traditional accounting functions including but not all inclusive to property taxes, accruals, cash, revenue and expense transactions, G/L and system management, and fixed asset tracking. Coordinates, reviews, and approves journal entries, account reconciliations, budgets, and financial operations. This position manages a staff of up to three Accountants and is responsible for managing the team to ensure work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, communication with Corporate accounting, proper recording and transmission of financial or related information. Acts as liaison for internal and external auditors. Provides leadership and active participation in financial and administrative projects and initiatives with a commitment to excellence. Manages accounting functions of developer gas line extension agreements including refund calculations and payments.
Responsible for management of the Accounting & Financial functions and providing for the financial planning and analysis for the East Region.
Work requires daily management of accounting personnel as well as assisting with other areas of company as needed. Ability to make decisions that are within office and corporate standards and guidelines. Must be able to perform duties and function effectively with no supervision.
Analysis, paperwork and use of computer. Works with financial work orders, gas line extension agreements, spreadsheets and computerized reports.
Works with accounting staff and other management to ensure proper flow of data to the general ledger. Ensure proper analysis done for reporting and use in audits. Implements and ensure corporate policies and procedures are in place and followed. Ensure controls s are being followed and deficiencies are resolved.
Works on special projects such as new software, cash lock box system and other various items that are intended to speed up and streamline processes.
Approves invoice coding and capital project coding.
Collaborates with other utility departments on operational process reviews and shared functions including Customer Care Group on Billing and Collection issues.
Concur with Department of Public Utilities audit staff on various regulatory audits.
Visits off-site locations as needed.
Performs other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required. MBA/CPA preferred and a minimum of seven years of accounting/finance experience, with at least two (2) years management/supervisory experience required.
- Prior regulated utility accounting experience is preferred but not required.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems, billing software, and cash receipts. Knowledge of all essential company accounting functions.
- Ability to read and process at a high level various accounting and industry terms, spreadsheets, vendor invoices, state statutes, federal laws, line extension agreements, service area maps, correspondence, legal documents and contracts.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including strong Excel skills and ability to perform Pivot tables and LOOKUPS required.
- Excellent team/consensus building, leadership, written and oral communication skills are required.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in developing and writing programs and procedures.
- Highly self-motivated, organized and the ability to work in a fast pace/changing environment. Responsive to changing job demands / flexible when priorities change.
- Ability to perform math calculations such as addition, subtraction, and algebra.
- Ability to calculate, add, subtract, estimate, communicate, understand and catch errors in customer service, vendor and accounting daily activity.
- Ability to communicate recommendations regarding procedure development and implementation. Strong competency in composing letters, memos and emails to other management and external individuals. Must be able to summarize research performed in a manner that can easily be followed and presented to others.
- Work is widely varied, to include involvement with other management, vendors, developers, customer service, and operations personnel.
- Strong understanding of the interdependency of all company operations and be able to analyze and prioritize situations as they arise on a daily basis.
- Facilitates work flow of accounting personnel with other departments and home office.
- Valid driver’s license required and ability to travel to other Liberty offices within the US & Canada when required. US Passport required.
Click for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career Or visit us at www.poweryourcareer.ca
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to building a diverse workforce as it values the knowledge, diversity and performance of our employees to make us a great company. Our Company strives to provide equal opportunity to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the HR Representative.
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer