|Subsidiary:||Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp|
|Department:||Energy Services - Trading & Scheduling|
|Zip/Postal Code:||L6J 2X1|
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1,800 MW of installed capacity.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Algonquin Energy Services (AES) team at our head office in the GTA. The mandate of the team is to maximize the company’s risk adjusted asset return by providing portfolio management, due diligence support, and market advisory services.
The successful candidate will manage a team of real-time energy schedulers and support wholesale term transactions within. AES is currently active in AESO, CAISO, ERCOT, ISONE, PJM.
As Liberty Power is a growing and dynamic company, the portfolio of assets and market area coverage will likely change over time opening up further opportunities for the Portfolio Manager to expand their scope.
- Create and implement asset optimization strategies within the real-time, day-ahead and wholesale term markets.
- Develop appropriate individual Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- Provide monthly performance and market insights report to senior management.
- Develop market/management reporting suite to ensure the disciplined collection and analysis of market fundamentals information to produce actionable insight.
- Develop/improve and document key real-time/wholesale operations processes/procedures/systems required to optimize AES generation assets in select market areas. Ensure appropriate internal controls and disaster recovery plans are built into key process to minimize operational risk.
- Collaborate with internal groups: front, middle, and back office stakeholders to ensure successful transaction execution, logistics, validation, risk management, and settlement/financial reporting.
- Support any improvement and/or development of corporate policy, procedures, and governance.
- Work with commodity risk management and credit risk management teams to ensure appropriate portfolio and counterparty risk reports are accurately published in a timely basis.
- Management of third party Energy Management arrangements and contractors.
- Ensure that staff work is adequately planned, communicated, coordinated, and executed. Ensure that work progress is appropriately communicated to management and affected internal stakeholders
Wholesale Term Operations:
- Develop and execute power, natural gas, and renewables hedging strategies. Manage wholesale commodity portfolios within the context of the corporate risk tolerance, portfolio exposures, and market fundamentals.
- Ensure ongoing compliance to market area rules/regulations/tariffs and internal policies/procedures/guidelines.
- Continually monitor information that may impact market conditions and communicate that information immediately to appropriate personnel for action.
- Ensure that all transactions are accurately captured and reflected within the company deal capture system.
- Responsible for supporting settlements/reporting activity when requested.
- Develop and execute capacity market strategies for relevant markets (PJM, ISONE, CAISO) and manage obligations in the market as required.
- Develop and execute asset optimization strategies for power and renewable contracts in all markets with asset presence and merchant exposure.
- Proactively manage long-term hedge exposures within prescribed Delegation of Authority limits.
- Originate and negotiate contracts with counterparties for physical and financial commodities including: fuel oil, natural gas, renewable attributes and power. Effectively utilize internal resources such as legal, credit and settlements in support.
- Support due diligence efforts with the business development team for new projects in both core and non-core markets
- At least 5-7 years of related industry experience, with in-depth energy trading/scheduling experience.
- Post-secondary education in Commerce, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, or other applied finance degree/designation.
- Proficient knowledge in the applicable bidding/scheduling procedures and dynamics for each market area. Thorough knowledge of OASIS web sites and OATI scheduling and tagging systems.
- Proficient knowledge in commodity risk management concepts and products.
- Demonstrated leadership and responsibility capabilities.
- Excellent organization, oral and communication abilities.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.
Click here for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer