Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10 billion of total assets. Delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty &Empire) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 782,000 customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Algonquin) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 2,500 MW of installed capacity.
Mandate: This position reports to Accounting Manager or Senior Manager. Responsibilities would include financial close activities, analyzing and reconciling balance sheet accounts ranging from a moderate to complex level of difficulty. In addition, significant support for budgets, forecasting and audit ( internal and external) is required.
- Actively support and participate in monthly financial close cycle to facilitate the production of timely and accurate financial statements
- Prepare monthly journal entries including but not limited to Regulatory assets and liabilities, Asset retirement obligations, Revenue recognition and Pension valuation
- Prepare timely and accurate account reconciliations including but not limited to Regulatory assets and liabilities, Asset retirement obligations, Revenue recognition and Pension valuation
- Review Trial Balance (P&L and BS) during close cycle for accuracy and completeness. Provide recommendations as appropriate
- Prepare timely and accurate analysis ( standard and ad-hoc) for activity ranging from a moderate to complex level of difficulty.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports/schedules including but not limited to monthly financial performance and KPI for multiple users such as local management ,corporate consolidation and/or external parties (SEC,Banks, Investors)
- Development of new/enhanced reporting to advance understanding of company performance and yielding value add insights
- Provide significant support for external and internal audits including but not limited to documentation and other related information requests
- Facilitate process walk through with internal and/or external auditors
- Support and execute processes aligned with internal control and GAAP standards.
- Significant support of the budgeting and forecasting cycles including but not limited to information input and consolidation with supporting analytics
- Support Regulatory filings possibly including but not limited to providing input and draft responses for filings appropriate for government agency requests.
- Support integration or divesting activity and /or system implementation activities
- Recommend, prepare and review documentation for job related processes and concepts for accuracy and compliance
- Actively participate in the identification and execution of process improvement/best practice initiatives
- University - Bachelor degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of experiences
- Actively pursuing professional accounting designation (CPA, CGA, CMA)
- Strong knowledge of accounting theory, generally accepted accounting principles and the Code of Federal Regulations
- Utility accounting experience an asset
- Ability to analyze, interpret and report financial information
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets and database applications
- Experience with Great Plains system would be an asset
Click to Like & Follow us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honour this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition consultant.