|Title:||Director of Accounting & Administration|
|Subsidiary:||Empire District (A Liberty Utilities Company)|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
Liberty Utilities (formerly Empire Electric District Company) is a subsidiary of Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp, a $10+ billion North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility. The distribution group provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
Mandate: Serve as Department Director, responsible for ensuring financial information of Liberty Central is accurately and timely recorded and in compliance with GAAP, FERC and other Federal and State requirements.
- Implement and monitor accounting policies, processes and internal control structure to assure transactions are recorded in accordance with GAAP, regulatory accounting principles and company policies.
- Coordinate and direct a high performing team capable of accumulating, processing and reporting information in an accurate and timely manner across areas of revenue, fuel, plant and property, accounts payable and tax. Provide support, training, and growth opportunities to department employees.
- Ensure that all Empire District benefit plan activity is reflected and recorded accurately in the Company's consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP. Oversee the preparation of quarterly financial statements of the Empire's benefit plans for review by the Benefit Committee and in preparation for the annual audit. Coordinate Benefit Committee meetings and service as a liaison to plan auditors and actuaries and Liberty Utilities Customer Care leadership.
- Identify and research new accounting and regulatory pronouncements, analyze their effect on the financial statements and rate recovery mechanisms, document conclusions and propose appropriate controls, processes and entries to properly reflect the new items in the Company's financial statements. Coordinate any implementations of changes to processes and controls.
- Oversee the SOX controls process for the Liberty Central region.
- Ensure processes are in place to accurately analyze and account for joint ventures, goodwill and other significant Company contracts to discern accounting implications.
- Assist the VP of Finance and other leadership by completing tasks/reports as needed and contribute to the success of the department by seeking ways to improve procedures and processes.
- BS Degree or equivalent and 3 years of experience in utility accounting.
- MBA, CPA and/or CMA is preferred.
- A thorough understanding of all General Accounting functions.
- A minimum of 3 years of department management experience.
Click for more information on what it's like to work here! Power Your Career Or visit us at www.poweryourcareer.ca
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to building a diverse workforce as it values the knowledge, diversity and performance of our employees to make us a great company. Our Company strives to provide equal opportunity to qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the HR Representative.
Follow us on twitter @AQN_Careers
Like us on Facebook PowerYourCareer
Join us on LinkedIn Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp
Follow us on YouTube PowerYourCareer